Discover the magic of Antwerp at Christmastime
Antwerp is a city worth visiting in winter. As the days get shorter and colder and the New Year approaches, Antwerp transforms into a fairytale place full of light, coziness, and winter fun.
Christmas market in Antwerp
Winter in Antwerp is more than a Christmas market. It is a total experience on the city’s most beautiful squares. You can skate, shop, feast, and enjoy various activities.
Don’t miss this:
Don’t miss this:
- The atmospheric Christmas market: On and around the Grote Markt, you will find a cozy Christmas market with stalls full of goodies, gifts, and crafts. Drink mulled wine or Dutch gin, admire the giant Christmas tree, visit the traditional nativity scene, and be surprised by entertaining acts.
- The indoor ice rink: On the Groenplaats, there is a giant ice rink around the Rubens statue every year. Next to the ice rink is a winter bar where you can warm up with a drink. Around the ice rink, you will also find stalls of local traders offering original products.
- The enchanting lighting: The city is wrapped in a warm glow throughout December. Follow the trail of lights from Central Station to the city’s historic heart and discover creative light installations.
- The Ferris wheel: Want to see Antwerp from the air? Then, step into the Ferris wheel on Astridplein and enjoy breathtaking city views. The Ferris wheel is a fun attraction for young and old to enjoy with family or friends!
Antwerp shopping Sundays, fireworks, and New Year’s treats
The end-of-year period in Antwerp is a feast for all the senses. Besides Winter in Antwerp, there is even more to experience in the city:
- Shopping Sundays in Antwerp: Throughout December, the shops in Antwerp city center are open daily. This gives you ample time to find the cutest gifts and the prettiest Christmas outfit.
- Fireworks in Antwerp on New Year’s Eve: The end-of-year fireworks traditionally sparkle above the river Scheldt. This year, it can be viewed from the South. The renovated Scheldt quays offer the best view. The spectacle can also be seen from the Galgenweel on the left bank.
- ‘t Stad Trakteert: On Sunday 7 January 2024, ‘the city government invites all Antwerp residents to celebrate the New Year. You get free tokens for refreshments, a delicious way to start 2023 off right.
- Bike tour of magical Antwerp: Our bike tour “The Highlights of Antwerp” will continue during Winter in Antwerp each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The Antwerp Christmas atmosphere makes the tour even more fun. Just make sure you are well-wrapped up. Gloves and a hat are essential when cycling for two hours on a cold winter day. Book your tour early, as Antwerp attracts many visitors from home and abroad during this period.
More information about winter in Antwerp
Winter in Antwerp offers an unforgettable experience during the end-of-year period. Be enchanted by Antwerp’s beautiful squares, enjoy delicious food, relax at the Christmas market, and get carried away by the festivities. For more information and details on specific attractions and events, please visit the official website of Winter in Antwerp. The next edition of Winter in Antwerp will take place from 8 December 2023 to 7 January 2024.